Johann Ziegler: Approach and entrance to the Augarten, coloured copperplate engraving, 1782

Vienna – Augarten

1648–1792

The Augarten in Vienna is all that remains of a seventeenth-century imperial pleasure garden that was once surrounded by the wetland forests of the Danube. The nearby Saalgebäude, built in the early eighteenth century, was an important concert venue during the classical age of Viennese music and today houses the Vienna Porcelain Manufactory. The building known as the Augarten Palace was a summer palace belonging to an aristocratic family which was bought by Emperor Joseph II in 1780 and is today the seat of the Vienna Boys’ Choir. Also nearby is the Josephsstöckl, the private summer villa of the Emperor, who was fond of the Augarten and opened it to the public in 1775.

Johann Ziegler: Approach and entrance to the Augarten, coloured copperplate engraving, 1782