The Maria Theresa Monument
1874–13. May 1888
13 May 1888 saw the unveiling of a large monument situated between the two Court Museums as part of the Ringstrasse ensemble. Still one of Vienna’s landmarks, it glorifies Maria Theresa, who sits enthroned, high and mighty above her advisors and generals. The monument depicts Maria Theresa in her best-known aspects, as a mother figure and as an enlightened yet absolutist reformer. Gathered around her as ‘pillars of the throne’ are her chosen political supporters and other contemporary figures.