Johann Andreas Pfeffl (after Salomon Kleiner): The imperial stables, copperplate engraving, 1724/34

Based on the designs of the court architect Johann Fischer von Erlach, this is an idealized view of the court stables which were never realised on this scale. In the Baroque era only the wing facing the Hofburg was built (in the foreground of the picture). The stables were not extended until the nineteenth century, and then to altered designs. Today the complex houses Vienna’s MuseumsQuartier with its collections of modern and contemporary art.