Vienna – The Kärntnertortheater
In 1709 the Theater nächst dem Kärnthnertor was built. For a long time its programme featured Italian opera, German-language drama and Hanswurst comedies. In 1849 after a period when it was leased, Franz Joseph placed it under direct court administration again. The old opera house was the venue for acclaimed premieres and was so popular with the Viennese, that it continued to put on performances even after the opening of the new opera on the Ringstrasse and was not demolished until 1870.