Vienna – The Court Opera
25. May 1869
Over the centuries, several different buildings and rooms in the Vienna Hofburg served as ballrooms and venues for festivities and performances of theatre and opera. In 1869 the Court Opera on the Ringstrasse was opened; lacking a plinth, its architecture was controversial, but its superb acoustics were soon appreciated. It quickly achieved the status of a major venue and became the home of the world-famous Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra.