Between 1726 and 1732 Prince Eugene of Savoy had an imposing palatial complex surrounded by an extensive park built in the Marchfeld to the east of Vienna to designs by the architect Johann Lukas von Hildebrandt.
Maria Theresa acquired the complex in 1755, intending to make it her dower residence. After her death the imperial family lost interest in Schloss Hof and it became neglected. In 1898 it was given to the army for military purposes. However, before it was handed over, the original state of the rooms was documented, which provided an invaluable basis for its comprehensive restoration, a project that started in 2002.