Archives are the collective memory of mankind. In St. Pölten, several archives engage in collecting exhibits from the present and the past so as to support future generations in their remembrance of things past.
Stadtarchiv St.Pölten - Municipal Archives and Study Library
The Stadtarchiv (Municipal Archives) contains source material on the history of the city.
- The library comprises among other topics the history of the city and of the Land of Lower Austria, also general history.
- The newspaper archive contains weekly newspapers from all over Lower Austria.
- The general series of records and documents goes back to the fifteenth century; the St. Pölten Council minutes report on council sessions held since the sixteenth century.
- The Land Registers of earlier overlords and governances of St. Pölten are also a valuable source for research.
- Legacies, gifts and acquisitions bring many valuable collections into municipa ownership.
- The results of scholarly research increase the library holdings in the form of university theses, dissertations, diploma theses, publications etc.
Other items include photographs, negatives, picture postcards, graphics, posters and printed matter, artisans’ vocational certificates, token money, sheet music, plans and maps, films, videos and audio tapes.
Mon-Thurs. 8 – 11 am and 1.30 – 3.30 pm Fri 8 am – 12 pm
Please note: Telephone appointments requested.