Museum of Carriages and Department of Court Uniforms in Schönbrunn
The Museum of Carriages – the Wagenburg – in Schönbrunn holds the core inventory of the former fleet of vehicles for the Viennese Court. After the end of the monarchy in 1918, there remained about 100 carriages, sledges, sedan chairs and litters along with their matching harnesses and caparisons. Among the highlights are the gilded “Imperial Carriage”, Maria Theresa’s Carousel Carriage, the Child’s Phaeton of Napoleon’s son, the Black Hearse of the Viennese Court, the personal Laudaulet of Empress Elisabeth (“Sisi”) and the only preserved Court automobile of 1914. A selection of coaches of the Princes von Thurn und Taxis was recently adopted as a permanent loan into the collection.