‘Vor, in und bei der Jägerzeile: Carltheater’, after a lithograph by Rudolf Alt and X. Sandmann

On the left is the Carltheater on Jägerzeile, today the Praterstrasse. In 1838 the former Leopoldstädter Theater was acquired by Carl Carl, who ran it in parallel to the Theater an der Wien. In 1845 he commissioned the architects August Sicard von Sicardsburg and Eduard van der Nüll, who would go on to design the Vienna Court Opera on the Ring, to remodel it. In 1847 it opened its doors as the Carltheater. It specialized in traditional popular Viennese comedies such as plays by Johann Nestroy, who also ran the theatre from 1854 to 1860.