Vienna – The Volkstheater
14. Sep 1889
The architects Ferdinand Fellner (1847–1916) and Hermann Helmer (1849–1919) had built almost 50 theatres across the territories of the Monarchy from the 1880s onwards and were experts in theatre design. The ‘Deutsches Volkstheater’ constituted the counterpart to the Burgtheater on the Ringstrasse. Here the foremost consideration was functionality rather than grandiose pomp. The Volkstheater stood for progressive theatre and attracted a broad social range of audiences.