A bouquet of flowers – An artistic decoration made of glass 1580

This bouquet of flowers was made in the Court Glassworks, which Archduke Ferdinand II, the sovereign prince of Tyrol, had built in 1570. In spite of the laws which forbade Italian glassmakers to work abroad, specialists from Venice were employed there. They supplied the Court with elaborate goblets made of thin-walled and colourless glass with special decorations and paintings. However, the glassworks in Innsbruck remained in operation only for some twenty years.

 

Relevant Chapters