The 'Albrecht Altar' from the former Carmelite Church in Vienna (detail with a depiction of Vienna), 1439

The 'Albrecht Altar' from the former Carmelite Church in Vienna (detail with a depiction of Vienna), 1439

Once part of the high altar of the former Carmelite church Am Hof, this altarpiece is the work of a Netherlandish studio and contains the most innovative landscape representations of its time, including one of the earliest views of Vienna. The altar was donated not by Duke Albrecht V, as had long been assumed, but by his Hubmeister (financial administrator) Oberndorfer, whose coat of arms was discovered beneath early Baroque overpainting during recent restoration work. The altarpiece panels can today be viewed in the St Sebastian chapel of the abbey at Klosterneuburg.

 

In use: