Eighty-four metres high and 108 metres in diameter, the Rotunda was the largest domed building of its kind at the time. The interior had an area of some 8,000 square metres, and after the Exhibtion it provided the venue for events like the International Electricity Exhibition of 1883. It also served as multi-functional hall for theatre, music and circus performances. Although it was disliked at first, the Rotunda eventually became one of Vienna’s landmarks. The steel construction with partial cladding was destroyed by fire in 1937.